Thursday, February 24, 2011

Daihatsu Saruman Tarbo

Got this delivered home last night.
A set of 4AGZE ceramic coated forged pistons w/ 20mm pins. These are for the 8.9 CR version and 0.50mm oversize to match my current bore diameter. Yes, I finally made the first move on turbo conversion.

I haven't bought the piston rings though. The seller quoted me triple the price of smallport rings and from what i gathered so far from my research, they're the same size. Size, not material, mind you. I don't know if there's any differences in material or even ring tension. Part numbers are different though. 13013-16200 for N/As and 13013-16210 for their F/I brethren. Close enough for me to think they're the same stuff, only incremented the numbers just to differentiate the application. If they're indeed the same, i'll be using my old rings as they're only less than 500km used now. Can anyone help me on this?

With this purchase, Pandora's box's been opened and all hell broke lose (from my bank account). Going turbo could easily cost me a quarter of the budget i've spent so far so i'll have to go at it slowly. Nearest purchase would be a set of DIY Wideband Lambda Controller to aid tuning the Megasquirt once everything is on and a set 0f 7M-GE injectors. Those injectors are high impedance and would seat themselves easily between the manifold and fuel rail.

I'll be checking a used A.R 48 T25 'tarbochage' soon and if confident that it should run smokeless, then it's one less stuff to get for the conversion.
My Saruman approves.

2 comments:

  1. hi,

    the rings are different in thickness. I can't give you the exact thickness but from what I know they are different in 1st ring only

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi khairul,

    that is also what i read from some internet forums. is this based on personal experience? and also are you referring to the bigport or smallport 4AGZE?

    i do agree the difference is only on the 1st ring. however, most say there is only two types of piston rings on 4AGE. the early ones (bigport NA and GZE) gets thicker 1st ring compared from the later ones (smallport NA and GZE and 20v).

    this's why i'd like to see first if smallport NA rings would fit.

    ReplyDelete