Sunday, March 28, 2010

Addicted to Ebay

Learning new stuff is one of the pleasures of this project. I learned a bit about importing stuff when i bought my Prothane kit last time. There are import taxes that i need to settle by picking up the stuff at the post office myself. But that's for stuff worth over US$50. What about things cheaper? Other than that, i heard that used stuff are also not allowed at the customs.

Curious about learning the actual facts, i went again searching on Ebay for parts at said conditions: previously owned and priced under US$50. Here's what interest me the most.

That's used 4AGE injector plugs. Why did i choose that? I already have injector plugs on my DIY harness but somehow they're of a different type. The ones i have got no clips to fix the plugs securely to the injectors. That's nothing cable ties couldn't solve but since these are for sale (and cheap), i chose to get them anyway. I paid only 15 bucks shipped. So there you go.. Used stuff for less than US$50.

How did it go? Well just a few days ago, this was delivered.
Yes it's actually delivered. I don't have to pick it up at the post office to pay for the import tax. There was a fee that i had to pay when the stuff was delivered home but it was less than a dollar.

In total, i was only paying around US$16 for those plugs. I am pretty sure i'd be paying more if i buy them locally, that's if i can find them. Who says imported stuff are always more expensive?

What did we learn, ladies and gentlemen? Stuff worth less than US$50 will be actually be delivered by the post office while anything more expensive, will have to picked up by the recipient since he/she has to settle some import taxes. Used stuff are also allowed!

Ebay is becoming more as my daily stop lately. I am eyeing on some adjustable cam sprockets and lightweight pulleys currently. Who knows when a good bargain comes up..

No comments:

Post a Comment