Sunday, October 4, 2009

Oil Seal Replacement on My Aprilia Fork

My Aprilia telescopic upsidedown fork was leaking oil. Despite to what the seller claimed, it was already like that since the first time i put it on my Honda Tiger bike. Maybe that's one of the reason i fell off my bike! The shocks felt too hard and rebound was awful! Here's how it looked. You can see the oil catching dust on the shock surface.
I ordered a set of oil seals and dust seals from kaskus. The dust seals are non-mandatory because they only prevent dusts from contacting the oil seals but i don't want to risk using the old dust seals. Here's what i ordered.
On the left are the dust seals and on the right are the oil seals. The oil seals measured (40 x 52 x 10). I guess that's (inner diameter x outer diameter x thickness) in mm? So if you're like me and need to replace your oil seals, make sure you get that size. The size are marked on the sides. Both Aprilia RS125 and RS250 share the same oil seal dimensions.

The replacement process is quite straightforward. One thing to note is oil volume. I was told to fill each shock with 250-300cc of oil. Other than that, i guess it's like replacing oil seals on any telescopic shocks. Pics will tell you more..
In case you're interested, here are some shots of the dust seal and its package.
"Performance Orientated Products".. engrish anybody? The website markings on the package, www.redarrowracing.com leads you nowhere so don't bother trying. I guess this is some imitation replacement part..

Anyway, now the oil leak problem no longer exists and my Aprilia fork performs much more smoother. Rebounds are better and cornering should be safer now..

2 comments:

  1. I read your blog very impressed seen this kind of important information’s. Really am interested to back to your blog again to gather some more information’s.

    Parker Seals Distributor usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esskay Polymers is a manufacturer of moulded and extruded rubber products such as O-rings, rubber washers, rubber oil seals, rubber bellows, rubber coupling & guide way wipers.

    ReplyDelete