Sunday, April 4, 2010

Corona TT132 T-series Rear Axle




Title says it all. Just pulled out the rear axle off a scrapped Corona TT132 yesterday during Easter holidays. Looks like The Dog is getting an LSD after all. As you can see, it has all the marks of a T-series axle. 10 stud bolts on diff cover with one longer one. That's all the evidence? Of course not.. The axle is now being rebuilt and here is the axle shaft, pics taken by dad.

See how the shaft is tapered twice as pointed by the arrows? Compare it with this pic of AE86 zenki shaft on the left.
Though one of the tapers are on different positions, this is one evidence that it isn't a Kouki axle. Last pic below should clear all doubts. You do know that Zenki axle-shafts are 24mm in diameter while Kouki's are 1-1.5 mm bigger, don't you? Here you go.

As i am now back to work in Lampung, tomorrow dad will help me check if this shaft fits the Cusco LSD offered by my workshop. If it does, i just saved weeks of shipping period but if it doesn't, then i'll be getting a brand new Cusco LSD ordered from Japan.

Here are some comparison pics i took. Keep in mind that my A55 Charmant is 4A-C and S-series axle equipped.


One thing that bothers me on the comparison pics above is that Corona's propeller shaft is 3 cm longer than Charmants (1240 vs 1210 mm). I am under the impression that T-series diff cover nose are longer than S-series on our Charmant and subsequently the propeller shaft on Corona should be shorter. Well, i do have to consider the gearbox position, wheelbase and all but until i get to actually install the Corona axle on my Charmant, i can only guess that i need to shorten the Charmant stock propshaft. Can anybody enlighten me on this?

***update***
The Corona halfshaft didn't fit the Cusco LSD offered. I've already guessed it. I just need the confirmation. They offered me Cusco LSD part number 131F2 while the one for Zenki (and my Corona axle) has to start with 130 (like 130F2). I guess i'll be getting a brand new LSD after all.. *peeks inside wallet*

Meanwhile, here's my Corona axle being rebuilt.

4 comments:

  1. Does this TT132 still has its power steering box if i may ask? >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't really remember as it's already been months since i work on the car. will inform you once i find a TT132 with an intact PS box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u so much edgar!! ..could u contact me thourgh my e-mail pls ? ..its spawn_138@hotmail.com ..i really appreaciate it and this will really mean alot to me and for my chamant ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bro Im from malaysia, i own a tt132 liftback... You know those parts for this particular model is very hard to come by especially the axle and suspensions, Well,now my car is sent to full re wiring and restoration, perhaps you could guide me with parts from another car that can easily be found new and fit into the tt132? thank you.. looking forward to your help :D

    ReplyDelete