Monday, April 5, 2010

Update 3 April 2010, Too Slow Guys..

This is what happens when you can't monitor your workshop frequently.. The progress will be irritatingly slow and they'll tell you tons of reasons that doesn't make any sense. Don't get me wrong, i am sure my engine swap workshop know their stuff but with all the work orders flowing in, infrequently monitored cars will be set aside and they'll focus on progressing others. Looks like i won't open up the name of my workshop then.. I wouldn't want others to experience the same thing. They won't need the extra publicity anyways. Most people have already heard of them. Anyway, here's the update.

Look at the custom gas cable bracket. That's all the progress they've achieved since my last visit to Jakarta on Feb 28th. Talking about stupid slow. There aren't many left to do but pending work will always be pending if they never get to it.
What did i do when i was in Jakarta? I finished the alternator wiring. Found something interesting when i did the wiring. It turned out that my Charmant has got an alternator upgrade when i bought it. Stock Charmant alternators are externally regulated while the one on mine has been upgraded to internal regulator. This is good news because my 4A-GE comes with similar alternator. What's left for me to do is extend the plug wires because now 4A-GE alternator is placed on driver's side while 4A-C has it on passenger's side. I'll write about how to convert to internal regulator alternator on Charmants after this.

Finished the alternator wiring, I went to a second-hand parts seller and got this.
Can't tell you how excited i was when i got it. That's a remote thermostat housing for 4A-GE and stuff like that are scarce here. I would need to order a new one if i want it as i am sure no shop would want to stock such slow moving part. I didn't think that i would ever get my hands on used one before and was ready to get my engine running without thermostat. You need thermostat to get the engine to the correct running temperature quickly. Without one, it would take longer time to, if ever, reach said temperature and engines in cold condition consume more fuel. Certainly this would help my mileage a lot.

I learned that the thermostat housing i got was not for AE92 4A-GE. Comparing it with the pic below (forgot where i found the pic), i learned that it was for AE82 4A-GE. If i am not mistaken, AE82 runs bigport 4A-GE while my engine is smallport. I can still use it since they're basically the same. Only the direction of some of the outlets are different.

I also bought some EFI fuel and radiator hoses and managed to salvage the fuel filter of a Mercedes Benz C180 W202. This fuel filter would match my Bosch fuel pump perfectly.

What's left to run the engine? As i said, not many. Fuel pump and fuel hose installation (which should take 2-3 hours max including fabricating the brackets), remote thermostat fitting (one day?), exhaust (one day?), tuning etc (one day?) and that's it i think. If my workshop actually work on my car, it would only take them less than a week to finish the car. We'll see how long it actually takes them.

2 comments:

  1. Radiator hose config looks like a 2jz setup lol, have you seen my throttle setup?, serious bush man mechanics but it works temporarily, what more work needs to be done for you car to be completed bro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exhaust took me an entire day to do 3/4 the car and fix an old fault on the original piping that was re-used, fuel pump can be done in 20mins max, thermostat fitting, although i opted not to use it, can be done well... im not too sure on that, water line alteration can be done in like 10mins, thats for the cold idle bypass thingy on the throttle body, tuning?... well, timing check and intake spray out and stuff? lol... 10mins? lol

    ReplyDelete