Friday, June 12, 2009

Car Security Ideas: Steering Quick Release & Shift Light

I bought some more goodies recently. First one is a Steering Quick Release hub. This is no Sparco or any of your usual expensive brand stuff. I can't say what brand it is since it's not written anywhere. I got them online for quite cheap, less than USD35. At first i was afraid of the quality, that it would not hold the steering firmly. I was wrong. It's got quite a grip. Now i just hope it will hold up for a few years.
I also succeeded on my tachometer hunt. On my previous post, i mentioned that i was looking for a 3-3/4 inch tachometer for me to install together along with the other gauges i have. I found someone selling a used one online for 25 bucks. I once asked for a new one and they offered me one for 65 bucks! Quite a saving, i'd say. Anyway, here it is, an Autogauge tachometer with shift light.
Do you know that you can have a good car security system out of the two stuff above? You know where this is going, don't you? The first one is the famous, Mr. Bean inspired, steering wheel removal method. Unless car thieves start bringing their own steering wheel, i'd say this is the best car security system ever! Seriously, this is one of the reasons i bought the hub. Well, i won't be bringing my steering wheel anywhere i go so again Mr.Bean's episode to the rescue: i'll hide it in my trunk!

Now, the second one is less ghetto and requires more effort. Using the shift light on the tach, hook the light to drive a relay to the ignition system. Lower the triggering rpm to about 1500 rpm and you're done. Now if the thief manages to get in your car and start it, each time he accelerates, the car engine would stall. Each time you want to drive the car, just set the shift light to maximum like 11,000 rpm so you won't trigger the relay or be safe by unhooking the relay via hidden switch. Of course, you need to consider whether the shift light circuit can drive a relay directly or you need a transistor in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment