Sunday, May 31, 2009

Busy Weekend: Wheel Trial Fitment and Dashboard Measuring

I went back to Jakarta last weekend. Work has been so stressful lately so i figured i need some time off. I don't usually go to Jakarta on regular weekends like last weekend. I prefer where there's holiday on Friday or Monday so that i can stay there a bit longer. However, considering there won't be any long weekend until July, i decided to go back anyway.

It was a busy weekend for me. I tried my best to get as much work done as possible on The Dog. First i went to the shop to see the body work progress. I went there with my friend Ono. As you can see on previous update pics, the rust was horrible. Now i get to see it myself. Here's a shot i took myself. It was taken with Ono's camera phone since i forgot to bring a camera. So, please excuse the quality.
Now you see how bad the rust is.. Scary huh? I just hope once they finish, it can hold up for a few years before starting to show rust spots again. I also took Stanley's advice to trial fit the wheels i bought, in case some fender rolling is needed. So i took my CSA Globeline wheel and fit it to The Dog. There was not much room to move so i couldn't take full body shot of The Dog while the wheel is fitted. Anyway, here are how it looks fitted. These are from the rear fender.
It fits quite nicely. I was surprised it didn't come out of the fender lines. So i guess no fender rolling is needed. Here's another pic, fitted to the front this time.
The last thing i did on the shop was measure the dashboard panel. I am planning to customize my gauge cluster using some aftermarket gauges. The plan was to fit these gauges on an aluminum sheet. What i did was basically take the measurements for the aluminum sheet size. I'll let the pictures do the talking on what i did with a help from Ono.
Fortunately, Charmant's dashboard panel is quite flat so it really simplified the work. Now i just need to transfer the cardboard sizes to an aluminum panel and have it cut. I didn't have enough time so it'll have to wait until next time.

I also went to Automall and hunted for some items. There were a number of items i need to buy but unfortunately i went there on the wrong day. I went there on Sunday and only a few shops were open. So i couldn't get all the things i needed. These are what i managed to get..
Indicator lamps, toggle switches and battery cut off switch for 15 bucks. These will all be installed to the custom dashboard panel. Hopefully there's enough space since i'll be installing also six 2-inch and one 3-3/4 inch size gauges. I'll write a post on the design of the gauge cluster panel next time. Just to give you an idea of how cramped my dashboard panel will be, these all will go to the panel also..
These are water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, vacuum, volt and air-fuel ratio meters, measuring 2 inches in diameter. I already got a 2-inch tachometer but i want a bigger size. The dashboard panel would only fit a 3-3/4 inch sized gauge although 5 inch is available. I couldn't get the 3-3/4 inch tachometer yesterday since the shop was closed. I hope i can find a used one soon so i'd save money and can start pinpointing the hole positions for the gauges on the cardboard panel.

2 comments: