Tuesday, April 14, 2009

From Junkyard to Automall

During Easter holiday, i went home to my beloved hometown Jakarta. I had so many plans and places i wanted to go to and it was the second time for me to see The Dog! The first one was when i bought her. Here were my plans:
  1. 4A-GE hunt in Karet
  2. Visit The Dog at the body workshop in Tebet, decide on paint color
  3. Visit junkyards in Parung, Bogor
  4. Visit one particular Daihatsu spareparts shop in Senen
I had only four days of holiday, Thursday to Sunday and i also had to spare time to be with my family, friends and of course my girl.. So you see, i didn't have much time. Luckily all went according to plan. Surprisingly, Jakarta's traffic was quite tame during that time. I managed to do all of those in time. Those familiar with Jakarta should know that the places mentioned are quite far separated.

For the 4A-GE hunt, read about it here.

I visited The Dog on April 9th. My dad just sent update photos of The Dog on April 6th so there was not much difference. Anyway, these are the photos of The Dog i took myself. You can see more angles on the rust she has.
Eeeww..
New plates replacing rusted areas
The junkyard was up on April 10th. It was quite a drive reaching the place. It was located in Parung area in Bogor. Along the Parung main road, there were many junkyards but only two places had Daihatsu Charmant. The body workshop working on The Dog gave me a list of parts i needed to complete my Charmantl. I found some of the parts i needed on the second Charmant i saw in the junkyards. I bought all of these there for around 18 bucks:
Glovebox lid (mine can't even shut properly), roof lamp and left rearview mirror
Right rear window chrome strip
Bonus, rear trunk weatherstrip

What do you think, good bargain eh? This is the donor car on the junkyard. I took detailed pictures of it so that if i need something, i can check the pics.

Last thing i did for The Dog during Easter holiday was visit this spareparts center, an automall in Senen. One particular shop there called Serimpi Motor was referred by members of Charmant mailing list i joined. I decided to pay the shop a visit. Any of the parts i needed for The Dog but couldn't find them in good condition in the junkyard were bought here. Hence, these are new and more expensive parts. These are bought there..
Taillights
Front bumper turn signal lampsFront sidelampsDoor lock holdersDoor weatherstrips
Headlamps

I am not sure whether i got a good price for those or not. I don't care. I am just grateful i can still get them.

Just before i left the mall, i found this baby..
A JAF grill badge. The badge is pictured upside down, my bad. I found one of these on the internet before and it was 5 bucks more expensive. I am glad i decided to hold off ordering it online. Interested in one?

With so many parts lying around in my house including these, i can't wait for the Dog to finish her repaint and see all of those parts at work. I still have many to look for though..

24 comments:

  1. How I wished there's a mall like that in Sibu, I'd go crazy to have a mall selling brand new Charmant parts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? So where do you buy your Charmant parts if you need to replace something like wheel bearing? Yeah, i don't really think about the price that much when it comes to buying Charmant parts. It's good enough that i can get them..

    ReplyDelete
  3. badge nya beli dmn, gar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. di atrium bro.. lupa gw nama tokonya tapi dia itu toko aksesori yg jual indikator autogauge bertumpuk2. aneka jaya atau gitu deh. ati2 tabungan jebol aja klo ke sana.. ngilerr.. ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahaha.. mau ke loakan lagi kapan? bareng dong. mau nyari spion nih gw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where can you find new and used Charmant parts in the World.? Please let me know

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Edgar hows this project coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Michael-Teri
    We have some new Charmant parts here but mostly non-Daihatsu OEM parts. They're of sufficient quality tho.
    As for used parts, junkyard is your friend..

    @Paul
    After a long halt due to work, it's rolling again Paul.. Looking to get Megasquirt running for the car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. time to update pics dude :) welding is almost finished on ours,bought paint on monday!check out the thread on AE86irl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Edgar loving this project. I'm also building a charmant, but I am getting trouble locating new body parts. In need of back lights, headlights and the corner lights :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name didn't show up lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Paul.. Pinpoint me to the thread man. I haven't visited ae86irl for a long time, didn't realize you guys changed the site.

    Hi Patrick, i am sure i can get those parts you mentioned. I got the same parts for Paul there. Email me if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.ae86irl.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29205 the entry page to the site is different but once ya click on forum its the same as before dude!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i want charmant parts in pakistan.plz mail me on hassanshah_94@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you post charmant's optics (lamps, turn signals,rear lamps) part numbers, please? Hello from Russia!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That will have to wait until i can get back to Jakarta.. in Russia, Charmant rides you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Salam kenal, sy Baskoro, beli lock holder n front side lamp nya dmn?Thx

    ReplyDelete
  19. serimpi motor di atrium mas baskoro..

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi bro i m using a charmant too back in johor malaysia we can get almost all mechanic parts new here .

    ReplyDelete
  21. mas bro...serimpi motor ada kontak yang bisa dihubungi ngga ya?

    ReplyDelete
  22. tinggal google jg nongol.. 0213848842. namanya koh Asen. bilang aja dari Edo. pasti ga kenal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh iya...haha..tengkyu Bro Edgar...lagi bangung charmant jg soalnya...
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mas Bro Punya Noken As Charmant....????

    ReplyDelete