Thursday, April 2, 2009

Unsuccessful Silver Top Hunt... *&%#$^$!

I got info from a guy in Bandung via this forum. I'll keep him anonymous. Told me he's got a Silvertop 4A-GE 20v, comes complete with wiring, ECU and bits and pieces required for a full injection system. He gave me these sample pics:
Looks fine to me. I did notice that there are no AFM, ECU and alternator shown. I asked about this to the guy and he confirmed they are still there and that i don't have to worry. Well i won't worry too much if it'll only take 5 minutes of driving to see the engine. What bothers me is that it is located in Bandung and that's about 2-3 hours driving from Jakarta. I'll be asking my dad to help me check the engine (i am not in Jakarta, remember?) and since it's quite far, i have to make sure that my dad won't come and see a "bald" engine.

So i decided to trust him since it's difficult to find a complete 4A-GE and asked my dad to check and see the engine. He managed to spare some time to see it. He went with my sister just this morning. They arrived in Bandung around 9AM and to my surprise, dad told me that there was no distributor, alternator, starter and clutch set on the engine! There are the shots taken by my sis.
WTF?! I asked the guy about this and he told me he didn't know anything about that! (the guy was working so my dad only got to see a friend of the guy). What? So you're offering me an engine that you don't even know the condition?! Great thanks..

If it's just the clutch, alternator or starter, i won't be so pissed off. The deal breaker is the distributor.. Did you notice that the distributor was there on the pic he showed me at first? I am sure finding a silvertop distributor only is even harder than finding a complete engine!

Even so, i am thinking of still buying the engine ONLY IF the price dropped low enough. In short, the price was dropped but not enough to convince me to buy it. So, sorry dad. You drove 2.5 hours for nothing.. Next time i'll just have the engine sent to Jakarta.

No comments:

Post a Comment