Sunday, August 16, 2009

4A-GE Overhaul Week Part 1

I went to Jakarta this weekend and focused my time on my 4A-GE overhaul. I asked Dad to give it to our regular auto station last Wednesday for them to start overhauling so that by Saturday, they can give me a list of stuff needed replacing. The plan worked out well. Saturday morning, i went to the auto station and the mechanic handed me a bunch of stuff needed to be replaced. Before that, i saw that he already finished grinding the valve seats.
He put some gasoline in the combustion chamber to check if there's any leak and, fortunately, there's none.

To check if the main and big-end bearings need to be oversized, i took the cylinder block, crankshaft and con-rods to a milling workshop. There i found out that my 4A-GE might have been overhauled not so long ago as my bearings are as good as new and i am already running .50 oversize pistons.

On their way to the milling workshop..
0.50 oversize piston. Notice the marking.
If only i had known that my engine is still good, i could've saved a few hundred bucks by skipping the overhaul.. But no regrets, now that i have my engine split open, i might as well replace the piston rings. I ended up buying all of these for my engine..

Engine gasket set
Piston ring set. Shop owner told me the second 3 on the part number (13013-16200) indicated that it's .50 piston ring set.
Thrust washers and oil filter
Timing belt and tensioner
and finally, a v-belt to drive the alternator
I am very grateful that i got this version of 4A-GE since it's the only version sold locally in Indonesia. Hence, spare parts are easier to find compared to its 20 valved sibling. I had no problem finding the parts i needed.

I gave all the replacement parts this Sunday morning to the mechanic. Unfortunately, he can't reassemble the engine just yet as some bolts on the cylinder head are broken and need to be replaced. He has to take it to a milling workshop to pull the bolts out and replace them. Since the workshop is closed during Independence Day, he has to wait until Tuesday.

Meanwhile, i also brought home these from the Automall where i bought the replacement parts.. More spare parts catalogs! These ones are for KE70 Corollas and *drum rolls..* our beloved Daihatsu Charmant! The parts shop owner is very kind. He trusts me and allows me to borrow the catalogs for a while.
As with my E90 Corolla catalog, i will have them copied and put them on sale.. Email me at edgaraja@yahoo.com if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment