Thursday, January 14, 2010

Apology Letter

It's time for me to get rid of what's been bothering me these last few weeks.

I would like to send my sincere apologies to all my dear readers out there, no matter how small you are. You may expect that my blog would be filled with DIYs and How-Tos related to engine conversion of 4A-GE to a Charmant, i.e me doing all the actual work myself and share you stories of the work. Instead, you find me moving The Dog from one workshop to another, letting other people do all the dirty yet fun work and missing out on exciting stuff i should be sharing with you, stuff found only if i do it myself. For this, i truly apologize.

I would like you all to know that i wouldn't hesitate to do the work if my full-time job hadn't interfered. Maybe i won't be doing the engine installation as i don't have the tools and hard-wares to do it but at least i would be happy to do the wiring and total body cabling if given the opportunity.

I am not sure you'd be interested but allow me to explain about my job and how it prevents me from doing the engine conversion myself..

I am a GSM RF Optimization Engineer and basically what i do is optimize the performance of cellular base stations. By the way, RF stands for Radio Frequency. Have you experienced dropped calls or noise problem when talking on your cellphone? Well what i do is achieve the lowest possible number of dropped calls and obtain the best voice quality during mobile calls so that the subscriber can talk comfortably on their phones. This requires me to actually visit the base station towers and conduct signal strength test, voice quality measurement etc. What's a base station tower, you ask? Here you go..

Familiar sight? Well if you live where there's cellular operator service, you're bound to see one that looks like that around the neighborhood. Here's a shot not all of you have seen; a view taken from the tower top, just behind the antenna which transmits signal to your cellphone.

Anyway, since base stations are practically everywhere around Indonesia, it goes to show that i have to be anywhere where there's base stations to optimize. As for now, my contract orders me to work in Lampung area with me stationed in Tandjung Karang district. And where's The Dog? It's about 35 minutes of flight or 8 hours of land-sea-land travel from where i work: my beloved hometown Jakarta. I have to cross a channel because Lampung and Jakarta are on different islands, Lampung is in Sumatra and Jakarta is in Java. Here's something that's worth more than a thousand words.

"35 minutes of flight?! That's peanuts! You can go back to Jakarta every weekend and do the work", you may say. I certainly can but then i'd be writing my blog from a hospital, resting due to exhaustion. Not to mention the money i'd spend on airplane tickets which cost me about USD70 both ways.

Hopefully now you understand why i can't do the actual engine conversion. I do apologize for this. I have to make a living and to prevent me from getting stressed out from working, i started the Dog project. Doing researches on Charmants and 4A-GE, planning out, hunting for stuff, buying engine and body parts, etc; those activities gave me some timeout from this otherwise stressful and deadline-packed work.

I can only try me best to show you what SHOULD be and what HAVE been done to swap a 4A-GE to Charmant. I might not be able to warn you of any obstacles you might find from doing similar conversion but i will certainly share if i find one. As always, comments and critics are always welcomed.

5 comments:

  1. To be very very honest, you have absolutely no need for apology man!

    IMO, your blog is the best Charmant blog out there!

    If you feel bad for not doing the job yourself, look at me, I'm even worse than you, when my car breaks down, I don't even know how to fix it, I suck more, LOL!

    Keep the updates coming bro, I'm already visioning a youtube video of your 4AGE charmant running and revving! >:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No apology needed my brother :), i am in agreement with Stanley on this, you have the best Charmant blog that currently exists, when i found your blog i was desperately looking for inspiration and more on Ryuji Takada, you couldnt believe the level of depression that i was reduced too when i couldnt find a good read up, when i found this blog i was inspired, your ideas match my own and you have alot of knowledge on the subject, i will dedicate my findings on my 4AGE project as well as what i have learnt from my friends swap. Instead of giving us an apology we should be openly praising your efforts and your helpful nature on the subject.

    Thanks bro, you have been of help to me with my project and you are one of my main sources of inspiration when i am down, thank you man, you got a friend and a fan all the way from the Caribbean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot guys. Your words really are helpful and shows that what i am doing is appreciated and recognized. I understand my blog could be better but i have done what i can to make it the way it is now.

    As you both now have blogs too, let's just do our best to share what we know about Charmant so as to make a complete reference for the rest of our readers out there, shall we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) will try my best, havnt been updating it as i should but things will pick up very soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Stanley and Dereck said is definitely true..this indeed is the best blog about Charmants all around..no people or rarely will share they're love,feelings,experiences of their car to other people like this blog..I'm wondering,asking myself already is there any blog about Cressida just as great as this blog on the interwebs..:|

    keep updating bro we love your wrote ups! :D

    ReplyDelete