Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Radiator, Clutch Set and Pilot Bearing

With the engine swap underway, i got a call from the workshop that i should get a new radiator and clutch set. For the radiator, they suggested me to buy one equipped on 2L, Toyota's 2.4L diesel engine. Though i believe the old radiator would do just fine for the 4A-GE (right Dereck?), i prefer to follow their suggestion. I chose to go all the way when it comes to engine conversion and that includes having brand new radiator.

I have yet to show you the differences between the old Charmant and the new diesel radiator, but the diesel one is significantly bigger and thicker. Here's the radiator. I'll take a comparison pic later when i get a chance to visit the workshop again.

I also bought a new clutch set: clutch disc, pressure plate housing and release bearing. The set i bought is for AE92 GTI considering that's where my engine came from. Last thing i bought was a pilot bearing type 6001. I've written before that since the engine will be used for RWD, i'd have to install pilot bearing on the flywheel. From the comparison i did before, i should be able to use the same type of bearing used on the 4A-C flywheel which is type 6001.
Pilot bearing's the one on below right.

I still have to do some shopping before i can start on the engine wiring. MAP Sensor and Intake Air Temp sensor are missing from my engine and those are crucial for the EFI system.

1 comment:

  1. Its good that you went ahead with the plans to change the radiator, i dont think your engine will remain untouched for that long lol, i am doing a budget build, so in comparison to my friends charmant the cooling is good with the old radiator..... taking into consideration that temperature in traffic after a hard run is about 2/3rds the gauge in possibly 40-45degrees celcius in dead traffic air.... hmmm gotta install a second fan lol

    ReplyDelete